me

me

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Maple Syrup Cake

I’ve got to be honest, I wasn’t looking forward to making this cake for a couple of reasons – firstly, I don’t really like Maple syrup unless its on crispy bacon or pancakes and secondly, I’ve just started a diet and Im not allowed ANY cake - not my idea of heaven today.

In the Baking Bible, you don’t get pictures of all the bakes which I think is a shame, but for this cake there is a lovely photo – I always like a photo as it gives me an idea what we should be aiming for. 

First things first lining the tin…..

Oh no! The recipe calls for an all-in-one method, but as you all know by now, we can’t do that due to technical difficulties/injuries/lack of muscles. My lovely hubby has promised me a mixer, and Im currently weighing up my options – I would really like a Kitchen Aid, but my dilemma is which colour do I go for? Im leaning towards the hot pinks or pale pinks or mellow yellow or pale blue or or or or – too many choices for me, so it could take some time to arrive. There is only one thing for it............. sorry Mary babes, but we are changing your method again – does it really make any difference? I think I will Google it to find out!

The big difference today with our baking was that Charlie really wanted very little help. I sat like lady Muck on my chair and “directed” her thru the process.  I have to be honest, I was sitting on my hands and was itching to interfere, but she was adamant that this was her cake and she could do it – hands off mummy!  She is very confident and not always in a good way, sometimes rushing each step, but I guess she is learning. 

This cake takes 1- 11/2 hours baking at 160, after an hour I realised that Charlie hadn’t set the temperature correctly, so it had an hour at 175 – now this really does make a difference! So a little well done around the edges, but I trimmed that off before we frosted the cake.

very wobbley layers
The one thing Charlie let me do was cut the cake into 3.  I don’t have a cake cutter, and think I need to invest in one – needless to say, I made a bit of a hash of it, ooops – Charlie wasn’t impressed.  She covered the layers in the cream and put them back together.  I helped smooth the cream on the sides and she finished with the orange zest which I had cut.  Charlie said it tasted really nice, Georgia spat it out with a very descriptive yuuuuuk, I however, don’t know what it tastes like so I can’t tell you – but it smelled very Mapley so I probably wouldn’t of liked it either. 
 
looks a bit like it should
We are not baking next week as Charlotte is going skiing with the school for a whole week and as long as she doesn’t break anything, see you in two weeks for an American Apple and Apricot Cake.

2 comments:

  1. I love maple syrup so this is right up m street. Looks great . We've had a red, a white and now a black Kitchen Aid but there are of many to choose from these days. Hope skiing goes well next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here re the maple syrup! I wish i'd asked for a kitchen Aid on my wedding list rather than a kenwood but having recieved such an expensive present I think I should stick with it. I can't beleive you've been doing all this baking without a mixer! Looking forward to the next cake

    ReplyDelete