me

me

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Back to school and back to routine. After what can only be described as a totally amazing summer holiday, we are all feeling a little jaded. Our holiday was a whirl wind camping trip in a mobile home round Brighton, Little Hampton, Isle of Wight and London - oh and did I mentioned we went to the Olympics too?

As I said, totally amazing and one, which I doubt, I will ever forget.

Baking over the summer has not exactly been our top priority and as we have only been at home for 2.5 weeks, we didn't actually have much time. Now, its 1st September 2012, the girls have been back at school for 2 weeks, and Georgia has gone off to play golf with her daddy so Charlotte is looking for something to do. We have already settled into the Great British Bake Off series 3 so she's flipping thru the Baking Bible feeling all inspired again.... now where were we up to??? Oh yes Lemon Yoghurt Cake....

 Yoghurt in a cake? Mmmmm ….. Yuk! I know I’ve never tried it, so I shouldn’t turn up my nose, but I’ve got to be honest, I don’t fancy this at all – plus Phil, my hubbie has done exactly the same so we are not convinced this is going to be good.  Anyway, we’ll give it a go.

 
This cake is made by firstly separating 3 eggs and whisking the whites into soft peaks – great in a kitchen aid, still I made Charlie do the test by turning the bowl over her head to see if they were whisked enough – I would love to say it fell out on her head, purely for comic effect, but unfortunately it was whisked enough and stayed in the bowl.  The butter, sugar and egg yokes are creamed together before adding the Greek Yoghurt and lemon zest and mixing well.  The flour is folded in; the egg whites are then very carefully folded into the mix.  There is quite a lot of mix, so it goes into a deep, 8-inch tin and put in the oven for between 1 – 11/4 hours.
 

Im expecting that this isn’t going to take that long with our oven so we started checking at 50 mins.  Wasn’t ready!  Charlie checked and then slammed the oven door!!!!! Oh pants! The whole thing collapsed  – There’s our lesson for the day, don’t slam an oven door when there is a cake baking.  So, when it was baked, we turned it out - it looked a little flat and weighed a ton.   When the cake is cool, its iced with lemon juice and icing sugar which is left to set. The good book says that this cake is best stored in the fridge and eaten within a week.  This made me laugh, as I don’t believe any cake would last that long in our house.

 
Looking at our cake, its not the best looking cake that we have produced but we’re sure it will taste better than it looks…do you know what, it didn’t!  Whether it was the door slamming, the yoghurt, or if it was actually under baked I don’t know, but something caused it to be very heavy.  What ever it was, it was horrible.  Guess what, it didn’t make it into the fridge – it want straight down the waste disposal – next week its Old Fashioned Seed Cake – oh I hope that’s better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a shame. I love any cake with lemon it. I was hoping for a picture of egg whites trickling down Charlie's face!!!

    I make this fab Nigella cake - Buttermilk Birthday cake (well not just birthdays of course!). You can use buttermilk of course, but if not you can use milk and yoghurt. It was wonderful. Not bad yoghurty taste. Its become a favourite of Luca's best friend and he's always asking me to make one! Barely last longer than a day here.

    Good to see you both bake on the blog. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Victoria - lovely to hear from you xx

      I love Nigella's Buttermilk Birthday cake and its a firm favorate in this house too - this I promise is NOTHING like that :-(

      What I should of done was not whisked the whites enough and then let Charlie do the test - that would of been a funny photo - hey hum, next time xxxx

      Delete