me

me

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Our first Blog


Well, here I am, my first blog… now, where to begin? 

I decided that I would begin a blog as I begin my baking journey as a way of seeing how I progress. So, I can’t bake but have always loved to have a go, with some very mixed results.   My theory is that I will progress as I practice and hopefully get better, but also I want to teach my 10 year old daughter how to bake and I hope this is a way that we can learn together – you never know, maybe even share this with her daughter when that time comes.

I guess a little background information might be required at this stage so you understand how and why I’m doing this.  Did you ever see the film or read the book Julie & Julia?  It’s a great story of one woman’s journey thru Julia Childs French cookbook.  Julie Powell set herself the target of cooking every one of Julia’s recipes and then wrote a blog about it.  Great Blog, great film, great idea!  I don’t want to be a great chef, I just want to learn how to bake well and spend some fun time teaching my daughter which will hopefully stay with her forever.

Now, there are some fantastic cookbooks out there and some even line my bookshelves, but I need my own Julia Childs type book that will inspire and teach us the basics. For my birthday, my lovely girls bought me both Great British Bake off Books – both I might add are fab but not really what I need for this project.  Mary Berry is truly an inspiration and has produced a Baking Bible which I think might be just what I’m looking for.  250 recipes, which cover everything from cakes and biscuits to scones, bread, and pies – that should do the trick.  So I’m off to Amazon to order it today so we can plan our first adventure into baking.  So excited, and I have one very happy junior baker waiting with washed hands and apron fixed….. Now I just need the book – then I’ll be back.


1 comment:

  1. I'll be back as well ;-)
    Fabulous idea.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete